A mentor is a guide. A friend. A resource who paves the way to success, and derives satisfaction from helping others succeed. Your role as mentor is to inspire, encourage, and support your mentee, and to contribute to their professional and personal development.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the time commitment? We ask that you meet with your mentee at least once a month. This can be face to face or electronically (Skype, face time, etc.)
- How long will the mentoring relationship last? It is a year-long commitment that can be renewed from year to year. If a mentor must leave the relationship early, we request at least one month's notice in order to search for a replacement mentor with similar background.
- Relationship is not going well or I am concerned about mentorship, what to do? We encourage letting the mentee know about the situation and contact the program director immediately. We will provide our full support to resolve the situation in a positive and satisfactory manner.
- Where can I find the handbook? Review the handbook here.
Connect with Our Mentees!
Share your expertise with those willing and eager to learn.
- Commit at least one hour of support per month for your mentee.
- Invite the mentee to meetings or activities, as appropriate. Schedule meetings with planned topics.
- Be flexible on meeting times and places.
- Respond to emails from your mentee within 2 days of receipt.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Establish open and honest communication and a forum for idea exchange.
- Foster creativity and independence. Help build self-confidence and offer encouragement.
- Provide honest and timely feedback to your mentee.
- Provide opportunities for the mentee to talk about concerns and ask questions.
- Actively listen.
WHAT IS NOT EXPECTED OF MENTORS?
- It is not expected, or required, to offer your mentee an internship, interview, or job.
- Mentors are not expected to assume the role of academic advisor.
- To have, or give, all of the answers. Assist your mentee by coaching, or leading, him/her to the answer.